Wednesday 21 April 2010

Don't try this at home...

...or anywhere else for that matter.

As part of my P4 demonstration track, I've planned to show various different types of trackwork construction.  A rough plan of it shows what I mean:

Part of it is to link a P4Track Company B8 kit into the three-way point made from ply & rivet.  I'd made the B8 a couple of weeks ago without problem.  Last night I finished riveting the ply sleepers, a tedious task at the best of times, and started laying them out on the template:



Unfortunately, when I looked at it the difference in height between the plastic sleepers and ply sleepers was more significant than I expected:


I'll just have to work with that, laying the ply onto a thick card trackbase.  Once bitten, twice shy, and I'll not attempt to mix the two types like this in future.  I recommend that you do the same!

Also, the act of laying down the sleepers showed that I'd missed out punching and fitting one rivet.  It's right in the middle of the point, at the end of the wing rail.  I thought momentarily about making another sleeper, but then realised that I could just use one of my spare P4Track Co. plastic chairs to fix the end in place.  


So that's a solution that saves the situation and will produce a good cosmetic effect.  Next stage is to start making the crossing vees.

No comments:

Post a Comment