...is that when you use them as crew in a locomotive, their heads stop the roof from sitting properly in place...
Observe the gap on the far corner where the roof doesn't meet the body. That was because my somewhat aloof driver had an interference with the lead sheet that was hidden inside the cab roof for extra weighting.
The lead is now removed, and all is back to normal. If only I'd discovered that _before_ the photo session was completed...
It's been a couple of weeks since I last posted anything, or indeed had chance to do any modelling. However when I was on the Scalefour Society stand at Warley (and thank you to all the current and new members that took the time to say hello and chat) I had my little Pug running up and down on a metre of plain track - just for something to do. Whilst it ran well, it could have run better. It stuttered occasionally at low speed...
So when I was back at home and had the chance to wield some wire and a soldering iron, I made and fitted an extra set of pick-ups:
should be able to see that the forward wheel now has pickups both front
and rear. The outboard ones are the new ones, and they slide between
the bottom of the frames and the brake rodding. The white rectangle
behind them is a small piece of cartridge paper that is epoxied in
place. The purpose is to prevent an accidental short against the frame.
Buoyed by the success of this, I went on immediately to put and extra set on the tram locomotive:
I haven't had chance to perform a test run of either of them yet, although I may just get time to do so this weekend.