Friday, 7 October 2011


A short preamble - I really don't like doing wiring.  It scares me.  Which is daft, as I've a Physics A-level, and I've re-wired an entire house before, so I should be comfortable about where the pluses and the minuses have to go.  But for some reason whenever it comes to wiring for models I have a mental block...

You may recall that it was quite a while ago that I finished track-laying on my "demo board" - this will be both a test track for my own use, and also a way of showing those interested in P4 modelling the different types of track that are available.  A while ago I fitted the power feeds to the tracks, and was able to get something running.  The next step is to fit the point motors and the uncoupling magnets.

First of all, an overview of the track-plan, drawn out in permanent marker on the top surface of the board.   Push-button switches have been fitted through drilled holes to provide the ability to just press switches along a route.  I thought that this would be easier, particularly for others that may have a play with it, than a more prototypical lever frame.  The rotary switch in the top corner is for selecting the power supply for each of the three roads.

And this is what it looks like underneath.  There are two separate power inputs - I wanted to keep the ones for the "trains" and the "track" separate.  At the moment the intention is to run this as DC, but I suppose that there is no reason why it wouldn't work equally well for DCC train control in future, if I decide to change.
At the bottom, the rotary switch feeds the three lines of track.  And at the top, the new wiring that I am now putting in.  The bus-bar has the feeds to the positive side of all of the switches soldered to it already.  The red wires are to the point motor switches; the pink ones to the uncoupling magnets.  It's probably an unnecessary distinction, but I can do it, so I did...

The track plan drawn on the underneath of the board helps me identify what is what - a tip picked up from somewhere on RMWeb I think, where it was used for a 2FS layout.  It's better if you use Templot to make it look smarter, but I ain't  that clever :-(

The next step is to install the point motors themselves.  For these, I'll be using functional tie-bars beneath the baseboard, and operating the point blades by means of wire running up through small holes.  This is the batch of  tie-bars being made out of copperclad strip.

So maybe I'll try fitting one of these tonight...


No comments:

Post a Comment